Tuesday, October 30, 2007

India Fine Fact #2, waiting in queue

Waiting in line.

In Minnesota there is an unwritten rule..... leave the appropriate empty space between people, first person in queue is first to be 'served'.

Not so here.

The queue is really just the first step. After that, it's every person for him/herself. It seems as though the old have an advantage in budding through the line. At first I thought it was out of respect for elders..now, I'm not so sure. I think it's actually just because they have more experience.

Example: on the layover in Amsterdam, I felt a bump then pressure on my hip. I mean, I'm not even sure I would go this far on a first date! I immediately moved. I'm just not into pushing and why do I need to get on another plane for a 9 hr flight sooner rather than later? Well this 65ish old lady was a pro. On the tarmac (sp?) waiting for the shuttle to the plane later on I tested her skill. We were at the same point in line. She got on the plane 9 people in front of me.

Application of this fine fact applies to all life here......walking, biking, motorbike, auto-rickshaw, car or bus.

Unfortunately sometimes when in Rome, you have to do as the Romans do to get by.

And now you know-
W:)

2 comments:

Dotty said...

How does it feel to be a midwestern woman amidst such huge crowds? I would think that would be as big a culture shock to me as anything else.

Looks like the trip continues to be interesting!

A Reedy Adventure said...

Definately drawing attention, but when I'm with Tracy and Tom with three asian children, I'm certainly not the center of their curiousity....