Tuesday, November 6, 2007

India Fine Fact #4: Whats with the shoes?

Here we go. I'm changing.

Let's talk about the small things first, shall we?

Shoes.

The first couple times I had to remove my shoes to enter a temple or building I felt a little bit of bother in the back of my head over it. My feet will get dirty (as if they're not). Everyone else has walked here bare-footed too (as if it matters).

I've gone through that ritual now many times to enter a temple or home.

I've come to realize that really, I was looking at it all backwards.

Removing your shoes is keeping the place that you are entering clean. It is keeping it holy.

Not removing your shoes seems to me now, very disprespecful.

I think I'll be removing my shoes more often.

You know what else? Going bare-footed is really fun. :-D

Ok.... I know. It's cold there. I've even heard that it snowed. I haven't worked the 'barefooted theory' into practice around that. Give me some time.

Got to go now. The sun is out. The pool awaits. And...I can walk the couple blocks there barefooted, if I want.

HUGs- W:)

1 comment:

M said...

Did U have to mention that you can walk to the pool bare foot??? That hurt.

OK, I just can't wait to see the beautiful pictures of the places and faces you have seen my friend, especially Auraville!
Hugs
M