Friday, November 16, 2007

Really like that Rangoli thing


















I was really blessed to be in India around Diwali. One of the traditions associated with Diwali fascinated me, Rangoli decoration. Of course I liked them, it's artistic. :-D

What's a Rangoli?

"Rangoli is a traditional Indian art created to decorate the ground in front of houses and places of worship to attract Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of wealth. Designs are created using decorative patterns marked out on the floor. The drawing of Rangoli patterns is often combined with rituals associated with auspicious occasions, such as major festivals and celebrations. The patterns are usually drawn by the women of the household in villages in parts of India; and in some places it is a daily ritual to mop and clean the entrance to the home and then make beautiful drawings in the doorways as a message of welcome."

The hotels that I ate or stayed in had Rangoli's set everyday...many times made of flower petals which were made with fresh petals early each morning. Because I was there around Diwali, and the Rangoli's are meant to attract Lakshmi (the Hindu Goddess of wealth), and a Lakshmi puja (blessing ceremony) is the focus of Diwali, many stores, and individual homes had beautiful Rangoli arrangements. Tracy and I went for a excercise-walk early a.m. on the day that Diwali was celebrated and many homes in their neighborhood had Rangoli's on the front walk or landing to the front door (unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with on the walk). I'd be interested to know if they are all unique designs.... my thought is that they are unique to the occasion and the individual 'setting' the Rangoli.
W:)

No comments: